We all love our pets. As pets get older and become seniors it's important to ensure they get the care and attention they deserve. At Animal Clinic of Honolulu, we specialize in senior pet care. Our experienced veterinarians will work with you to ensure your senior pet is healthy and happy.
Senior Pets Need Extra Veterinary Care
Dogs are considered senior age by 7 years old and cats by 10 years old. Senior pets typically need increased veterinary care. This means more frequent checkups and tests to ensure they are healthy. One of the reasons they need additional attention from a veterinarian is because they are more likely to develop health problems as they age. Common needs for senior pets include the following:
- Nutrition and exercise- As your pet enters their senior years, they will need a different type of food to help them stay healthy.
- Dental care- It's important to keep your senior pet's teeth healthy. They are more prone to dental problems as they age.
- Arthritis and pain management- Older pets often suffer from arthritis and other age-related issues. We can help manage their pain and keep them comfortable.
- Cancer screening- Cancer is more common in senior pets. We recommend regular cancer screenings to help catch any problems early. We encourage you to bring them in for a checkup so that our team can work with you to ensure they are getting the care they need to live a long and healthy life.
- Pet vaccines- Senior pets have to stay up to date on their vaccinations. This helps protect them from disease.
Mental Health In Senior Pets
It's important to recognize the changes in senior pets aren't only physical. You may notice your pet is having more irritability, changes in sleep patterns or they begin to act out. Mental health is also something that needs to be closely monitored by a veterinarian.
These changes can be a result of many things such as boredom, anxiety, pain, or even dementia. It's important to be proactive if you notice these changes and please bring them in so we can help. We will work with you to ensure your senior pet is comfortable and happy. We also recommend senior pets get regular mental stimulation. This can be in the form of exercise, training, or even puzzle toys. Mental stimulation can help keep your senior pet's mind sharp.
Call Our Veterinarians in Honolulu for Senior Pet Care
Bring in your senior pet for a wellness exam. We will work with you to ensure they are getting the care they need to live a long and healthy life. Call our team at Animal Clinic of Honolulu today at (808) 734-0255 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.